Life Through Instagram

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Maple Pumpkin Ale

It's that time of year again.  I am brewing my first ever pumpkin ale, tweaked of course.  My Friend GS (we'll call him) is helping me out on this one.  There weren't any fresh local pumpkins available yet so I had to use canned organic pumpkin.  I also used conventional pumpkin spice mix from our local co-op, City Market.  The recipe I started with was "Brewing Classic Styles" Pumpkin Ale, but I tweaked it a little bit.  I am kind of nervous about that, but I figured since I tweaked my first beer it will be okay.  Instead of the adding 2lbs of Pumpkin and 4 teaspoons of pumpkin spice.  I reversed it to 4lbs of pumpkin to 2 teaspoons of Pumpkin spice (*side note...I think the additional sugar from the pumpkin messed with the ABV, cause it was certainly a high alcohol beer).  This combination should provide for an interesting flavor, plus a 1/2 cup of Vermont Maple Syrup should be delicious.  I also added an extra 1oz. of Mt. Hood hops at 30min in the boil.  I have written down the recipe below.  I hope you give it a try and enjoy it!

Brewing Recipe & Hop Schedule:
Malts (Extract and Speciality Grains)
- 7.75lbs of XL Malt Extract
- 1/2lb of Aromatic (20L)
- 1/2lb of Crystal (40L)
- 1/2lb of Crystal (120L)
- 1/4lb of Special Roast (50L)

Hops & Schedule (Pellet Form)
- 1oz. of Kents Goldings at 60min
- 1oz. of Mt. Hood at 30min

Extras:
- Four 15oz. canned organic pumpkin
- 1/2 cup of Vermont Pure Maple Syrup (Grade A)
- 2 teaspoons of Pumpkin Spice

Yeast:
- One package of Wyeast 1968 London ESB

_______________________________________
11/4/2013:
After quite awhile in the conditioning stage I've been able to sample some of my brews.  It seems I've added too much priming sugar.  Lesson learned, but some people have enjoyed it, but I think its a bit "champagne-y".  Still a delicious tasting beer with wonderful maple notes.  Not a whole lot on the spice front, but that's what I expected.

_______________________________________
12/2/2013:
Maple Pumpkin has continued to bother me.  Disappointed with the beer as a whole.  I'll need to focus my efforts next year and really dial in the beer to my preferences.

No comments:

Post a Comment