Life Through Instagram

Monday, November 11, 2013

11:11 IPA

Happy 11:11 Friends!
Today marks another great day of brewing here in Vermont.  I've decided to embark on a new adventure in the world of home brewing.  Today is the day I construct my first IPA.  Through word of mouth and local home brew guilds I have fallen upon BeerSmith 2, an excellent recipe builder, that I have used for the first time in this beer.

The question I have gotten most often is why 11:11?  Well it's pretty simple in fact.  I have always managed to find myself looking at the clock at 11:11, be it AM, PM or the date, and I usually send a text message out to friends.  What started as a little joke developed into a pretty interesting habit, better than smoking I guess.  The 11:11 IPA is being brewed on 11/11/13, I missed 11/11/11 by two year...shucks.  The whole premise behind the 11:11 IPA is that I will use 11lbs of malt, using both extract & speciality grain, and 11oz's of hops.  This thing is going to be a face puncher!  I have added my recipe below.  I hope you enjoy it!

11:11 IPA Brew Recipe & Hop Schedule: (5 Gallon)
Malt:
- 3lbs of Crystal Malt (10L - 10SRM)
- 8lbs of XL Malt Extract

Hops: (Pellet Form)
- 2oz. of Warrior (15% AAU) at 90min
- 1oz. of Chinook (13% AAU) at 90min
- 1oz. of Cascade (5.5% AAU) at 45min
- 1oz. of Chinook (13% AAU) at 45min
- 1oz. of Cascade (5.5% AAU) at 0min
- 1oz. of Mt. Hood (6% AAU) at 0min

Yeast:
- 1 package of #1056 Wyeast - American Ale

Dry Hop Schedule: (Pellet Form)
- 2oz. of Mt. Hood (6% AAU) for 7 days
- 2oz. of Citra (12% AAU) for 1 day

I will continue to update you throughout the process, most likely on bottling day.

Cheers and happy home brewing,
That Vermont Beer Guy

______________________________________________
12/22/2013 Update:
Last night was I finally able to bottle the beer.  A bit longer than I wanted, but no complaints.  I final ABV of around 7.5%.  Dry hopping added a wonderfully flavor aroma and a big hop body.  Color was a deep orange/amber.  I bottled conditioned with 96grams of organic cane sugar into a yield of 4.5 gallons.  The finish beer count of 48, 12 ounce beers, and 1, 22 ounce beer.  I will probably wait at least three weeks to enjoy this one.  Very excited.  Happy drinking. TVBG


No comments:

Post a Comment